Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Charity


I've thought about who I wanted my portion of the sales from the show to go to for...well...a year.  I'm not sure why I've had a difficult time deciding this.  I guess there's just so many deserving organizations.  It was hard to single it down.  It's not going to be some insane amount of money either.  So what I can give I want to be received well and used well.

The Angel's House.  You can read more about their story here.  Interestingly enough when they opened the house I was an active Junior League member.  Our group was in charge of furnishing and decorating the playroom in the basement.  It was such an amazing experience.  At the time I was teaching 5th and 6th grade at the Heritage School.  I had a bunch of my students meet me at the house where we turned the walls into an African rainforest.  It was a beautiful mural for the kids to enjoy for years to come, but best of all was the interaction between myself and the students.  I still run into kids who say, "Mrs. Horne, do remember when we painted the monkeys and trees in the Angel House?"  Several of my own paintings and collaborative art pieces decorate the main area of the house.  This weekend the Angel House is hosting their annual Run For Angel's.  A 5K and 10K race followed by a yummy chicken-Q to raise money to keep the house going.  I signed up to run of course.  And then it hit me square in the forehead......duh!  The Angel House should receive my money!!  I am so overjoyed that not only will the money be going into my own community, but I personally know that the money will be used appropriately. 

If you feel led to give on your own please go to their site here.  This tab allows you to donate online or through the mail.  You can also donate any of the goods listed here.  The list is quite lengthy. I am thinking of asking anyone who attends the opening to bring an item on the list we could then donate.  This way it's not just money coming into the house.

Well....the details are being checked off the list quickly.  In a very short 6 weeks the opening will happen.  I am getting teary just writing this now.  It's going to be an amazing weekend indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment